Monday, February 28, 2011

Parents' Time Out

I don't make friends easily.  Getting out of the house, outside of work, is damn-near impossible.  Getting out of the house without hubby or kids in tow: down-right impossible.  I'm also a bit of a spaz, which pretty much works like friend repellent.

Oh, also, I'm kind of an asshole.  Especially about other people being assholes. Some people refer to it as a negative attitude, but I'm actually very positive about the fact that I hate jerks.  See, I'm a super-shiny rainbow.

Anyway...

About 2 years ago, I was looking to connect with other parents that I could chit-chat with, share my experiences, learn from theirs, and whatever other things that people that like each other talk about.  I found a forum where I was neck deep in some kind of weird Mom-petition.  I didn't understand the rules or how to win. 

I posted questions; they got ignored.  I posted responses that I thought were insightful; I either got ignored or chastised for not following the strange script of semi-tolerant placating. It wasn't a very positive experience. 

I was about to give up, when someone posted a link to one of the best blogs I've ever read.  The series of posts that woman wrote crucified the Momzillas I'd been trying to fit in with and I loved every syllable of it.  Then I noticed a curious thing: the blog was connected to a forum.  No. Way.

It was there that I connected with a group of parents that I consider to be the best on the internet.  What makes them so special?  They don't judge.  They're super supportive.  They span a range of experiences in both birthing and raising children.  And they're REAL.  

We have parents who've adopted.  Parents who delivered naturally at home.  Moms who breastfeed and love it.  Moms who breastfeed and hate it.  Attachment parents.  Detachment parents.  Hell, we're even so cool, we have DADS on our "mommy" board.

Due to a few factors, this board died out.  A big part of that was because the amazing blog was no longer being updated.  Another huge factor: no new members.   This was depressing for me.  It meant that my only social interaction came from creating Sims and then making them talk to their friends.  I realized that this was no substitute for my online posse.

The last couple of weeks, I took matters into my own hands.  I've been hard at work creating a new playground for my motley group of misfit parents.  It would be amazing if you would check it out.  Join up, chat your ass off, have a blast, get to know this outstanding group of people that have helped me realize how normal a parent I really am:





5 comments:

Launa said...

You know normal is only normal if it happens where normal things are suppose to happen!
Okay, totally weird, huh?

Anyways, I hopped on over to the time out spot and since I've never been part of a forum it looked kind of intimidating but I will totally register and check it out more in the morning... when my brain works, sort of.

Oh, and BTW my hubby is a self proclaimed asshole... and I think he's pretty darn cool (most of the time anyways!)

Awesomeness said...

I know that now, Launa, but it took me a while to feel that way.

Don't be intimidated! That's so funny, though, because that's how I felt before I signed up on the original board.

What you're seeing when you go there is about 16 kids, who are extremely comfortable with one another, playing with a new toy. We're just excited that we have a place to chat again. We're also trying to get comfortable with the board controls.

We'd be very excited to chat with you too! I was actually hoping that you'd want to join. Just ask and someone will help you figure things out. They're all very understanding with people who are new to forums.

Not everyone on there is quite so crazy. ;)

allgrowedup said...

We don't bite much...unless you're in to that sort of thing and that's a whole OTHER story rofl

Candice said...

I think you and I would get along great in "real life". ;)

I tried the Mommy and me playgroups when my oldest was a baby and I think I lasted one meeting.

I vividly remember thinking "what in the fuck have I gotten myself into? Do all Mom's turn into a blubbering retard just because they've given birth?"

I seriously thought I was screwed. I decided to just become anti-social with kids. It's worked for me. However, I will give your website a look-see. Finally, a place where the cook kids hang out!

Awesomeness said...

Yep Candice, you and I are absolutely riding the same wavelength. ;)

As a matter of fact, my intro post for the old hangout board was "So this is where all the cool kids hang out!"

Please check it out. You must join up. You would fit in so perfectly there.