Sunday, February 27, 2011

Accessorizing Lunch

Lunchtime in our house is not usually a special occasion.  I make some sort of food and serve it up on a plate.  One kid picks at it for 3 hours.  The other kid dumps it on the floor, then eats it from under the table.

I've served the kids on a set of different-colored plastic plates for a long time now.  (Or when I forget to do dishes, the kids tend to eat from disposable Tupperware or .... ah, disposable Tupperware lids...)  The kids aren't usually that picky about the plate they get, so long as there's food on it.

Until today.

I made the kids some pancakes and took them to their table.  SnootySally got pancakes on a green plate and FrankyFoodGrabber got the blue plate.

SnootySally: This is not MY plate.  Mama, my plate is the blue plate, because blue is my favorite.
Awesomeness: It doesn't matter, honey, you have pancakes on your green plate and they're just the same as the ones on the blue plate.  Can I get you a blue cup instead?
SnootySally: No, I need the blue plate.
Awesomeness: You don't need the blue plate, you just like it better.
SnootySally: But, but...
Awesomeness: (my patience is taking a potty break) Don't say "but, but" to me.  You have pancakes; you have a fork, eat the damn pancakes.
SnootySally: But Mama, the blue plate matches my clothes and the green plate matches Franky's clothes.


Well, I'll be damned, they actually do.  Since Franky hadn't gotten to the table yet, and she hadn't touched her plate either, I switched.  I hope this doesn't start a matching trend.  I only have 5 colors.

2 comments:

Launa said...

Haha! Sometimes I wonder if kids are smarter then us adults!! Sort of huh? Too funny though!

Awesomeness said...

The answer is yes. They are definitely smarter than us. :D